After the new Belarusian Code of Education entered in force as well as relevant regulations took effect, the term “adult education” has broadened its meaning considerably. At the time it means not only a system of advanced training but also any organized educational process for adults (including non-formal education). All this creates new opportunities and sets new tasks that include ensuring effective cooperation between different social stakeholders, development of regional systems of further and non-formal adult education and their optimization according to the needs of the regions etc. The project “Learn to Act” is designed to contribute to accomplishing this mission.
The project’s concept was elaborated within the EU thematic programme “The European Neighbourhood Instrument (ENI)”. The project “Learn to Act” is financed by the European Union and co-funded by DVV International (from the funds of the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by the Representative Office of the German Adult Education Association (“Deutscher Volkshochschul-Verband e.V.”) in the Republic of Belarus in cooperation with the Association of Life-Long Learning and Enlightenment (ALLLE) and Folk High School in Cham (Germ. – Volkshochschule im Landkreis Cham e.V.).
The overall project’s objective is to support realization of the right to life-long learning and participatory decision-making processes. The specific objectives include:
- Adult education development by capacity building of organisations providing educational services, civil society organizations (CSOs) and grassroots initiatives in the sphere of further and non-formal education for residents of remote territories and small settlements.
- Strengthening of liaison and intersectoral cooperation on local and national levels.
The project’s target groups include:
- Nearly 100 representatives of NGOs from the sphere of further education, CSOs, other organisations, including 240 managers and trainers as well as 60 representatives of grassroots initiatives.
- Almost 1500 representatives of regional marginalized population groups.
The territory of the implementation is the Republic of Belarus (Brest, Vitebsk, Gomel, Grodno, Minsk, Mogilev regions)
Duration of the project: From February 1, 2016 to January 31, 2019
The expected results and outputs are grouped into 3 components:
1. Target CSOs improved technical and project management skills; broadened training programs with the emphasis to the needs of marginalized population groups.
2. CSO-network for non-formal and civic education is developed and advocates for non-formal education and the fulfilment of rights of their target groups.
3. The idea of liaison and cross-sector cooperation is supported by local and regional stakeholders and promoted through best practice examples and common efforts.
These results and outputs are to be achieved by the following activities:
- Two educational cycles (8 five-day seminars) – “School of Educators”.
- Publication of manuals «Curriculum GlobALE” and “Networking, advocacy and using new media in non-formal and civic education”.
- Three 5-day seminars for managers from local and regional CSOs – “School of Managers”.
- Study visit “Learn to Act” and internship in Germany.
- Three 2-day workshops for grassroots initiatives “School for Beginners”.
- Tender and award for 12 educational mini-projects for marginalized groups. The tender for educational mini-projects will be announced among local and regional CSOs.
- Creation of 3 Resource Centres for educational CSOs in Gomel, Vitebsk and Grodno. They will serve as a platform for conducting educational courses for CSOs and local community. Programmes for marginalized and vulnerable groups will be carried out on their premises, as well as consultations for local institutions of further education, CSOs and grassroots initiatives will be provided.
- Tender and award for 4 mini-projects on advocacy and cooperation improvement between local and regional CSOs.
- Creation of “Club of Educators” from among the alumni of “School of Educators”, “School for Beginners”, “School of Managers”. Providing assistance for its functioning.
- Advocacy (Public) campaign “Caravan “Learn to act”. The event will aim at drawing attention of broader public to the questions of availability of further and non-formal education in regions, popularization of the idea of life-long learning and civil participation.
- 6th Festival of Non-Formal Education will be held.
- Support of the Internet-Portal “Non-formal education for all generations” (http://edu.adukatar.net).
- Publication of 3 editions of magazine “Adukatar” of the Association of Life-Long Learning and Enlightenment (ALLLE).
- Сreation of Public Council that will serve as a platform for discussion of key tendencies in further and non-formal education as well as areas of cooperation in the civil society.