The project contributes to the development of the International Prison Education Network in the Eastern Partnership and Central Asia in Armenia, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine and contributes to the observance of the human rights to education in prisons.
The project is aimed to increasing the number of NGOs working in prisons and strengthening their capacity to work with prisoners and former prisoners, organizing innovative educational programs for them. The other important goal also is to strengthening the interaction of these organizations with the media and journalists in order to actualize the issue of the rights of prisoners (primarily their right to education and the free development of the individual) in the media and society.
The project is implemented by the national offices of the Institute for International Cooperation of the German Association of People's Universities (DVV International) in Armenia, Belarus, Moldova and Ukraine in partnership with local organizations in the participating countries:
Public Union “Social Justice” (Armenia)
Public Association “Club of Public Journalism” (Armenia)
Gomel Regional Public Association "Social Projects" (Belarus)
Positive Initiative Public Association (Moldova)
Charitable organization "Free ZONE" (Ukraine)
Project participants are organizations - members of the International Network from Armenia, Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine, representatives of civil society, state authorities and institutions, media representatives, convicts and former convicts from these countries.
In Moldova, the project provides the following activities:
- A comparative analysis of the situation, specifics, legislation in the field of education of (ex) convicts
- Round table "The right of convicts to education", dedicated to the International Day of Education in Prisons (celebrated on October 13) with the participation of representatives of the penitentiary system, NGOs and the media.
- A seminar for civil society organizations on the topic “Development and implementation of projects to access to education for (ex) prosoners”
- Competition for the implementation of innovative projects for developing and implementing training programs for (ex) prisoners . Implementation of projects is scheduled for January-September 2020.
- Study visit to Germany “Education in Prison” for the winners of the mini-projects contest. During the trip, participants will learn about the penitentiary system organization in Germany, the experience in developing and implementing of the educational programs for (ex) prisoners, as well as the role of NGOs in these processes.
- A start-up seminar for winners of the mini-projects contest and journalists with the aim of introducing to journalists organizations and projects working in the field of education of (ex) convicts, drawing public attention to this topic, as well as discussing the problem of stigmatization and isolation of former convicts and facilitating their reintegration into society .
- Competition among journalists for the best articles and materials on the topic "Access to education for (ex) prisoners. A special jury will be created to evaluate the submitted works.
- Presentation of the results of the competition for journalists. The project is being implemented with financial support from the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs.